Drinking Water & Sanitation
GHED area villages of Junagadh & Porbandar districts of Gujarat :
Project Location :
10 villages of Junagadh and Porbandar districts.
Project Component :
RO based drinking water supply system and environmental sanitation.
Project Stakeholders :
Sir Ratan Tata Trust, General Electric, Aga Khan Rural Support Programme (India), Saurashtra Voluntary Action (SAVA), Ambuja Cement Foundation and rural communities.
Drinking water Problems in GHED area Villages–Porbandar \ Junagadh District:

GHED is the local name given to the area in coastal belt of Saurashtra, which are located very close to the sea level and therefore remain inundated during rainy season, and where ground water is saline. The average annual rainfall of the year in this area is around 450 mm. The availability of ground water is limited to the extent it infiltrates into the ground. It is observed that in most villages of GHED area the sweet water (infiltrated rain water) can last four to six months during the year including the rainy season. For the remaining six to eight months the ground water available from the wells gets saline as salt water intrusion from the sea occurs. The water quality test results carried out during the dry period of summer indicate that sea water intrusion raises TDS to levels that the ground water does not remain fit for drinking.

The TATA-GE collaborative project aimed at addressing the issue of supply of safe drinking water and sanitation in quality affected villages. Water quality problem – high levels of salinity, were addressed through the adoption of appropriate technological solutions, namely Reverse Osmosis (RO) processes. General Electric (GE), USA donated the RO equipments. Eureka Forbes Limited provided technical support for installation of RO and other water purification systems. The villages covered under this project are as under:

  • District - Porbandar: Miyani, Shrinagar, Mul Madhavpur & Mander
  • District – Junagadh: Shil, Loyaj, Maktupur, Divrana, Mul Dwarka and Dhamnej

Project objectives :
  1. To improve the quality of drinking water, by establishing community managed RO based drinking water supply systems.
  2. To promote self dependency among the community in matters pertaining to safe water supply and environmental sanitation - both at the individual as well as community level.
  3. To promoter sanitation program in the villages so as to enhance the overall quality of life of the communities.
  4. Ensuring community participation and facilitating gender mainstreaming in planning, implementation and operation and maintenance of water supply systems.
  5. To motivate village institutions (Panchayati Raj) for up-gradation and establishment of better standards of O & M of water supply scheme.
  6. To embed feeling of ownership in the community by eliciting community contribution in the total cost of W / S.
  7. To enhance the capacities and technical skills of the communities to implement, manage, and sustain the community based water supply and village level sanitation systems.
Drinking water systems :
To ensure effective partnership of rural communities, Water Committees were formed in each village and were trained for implementation and operation & maintenance of the plants. As the RO technology require advanced skill for its management, rural youth were trained to understand technical aspects of the plant so that they can easily manage them. Detailed technical plans for all the 10 villages were prepared in consultation with rural communities and based on the plans, RO houses were constructed. Water Committees have contributed 10% towards initial capital cost for infrastructure development and remaining 90% were supported by Sir Ratan Tata Trust. Thereafter, RO equipments were installed and handed over to water committees for its management. Water committees have also fixed water tariff at Rs. 0.20 per liter which can help in meeting the operation cost. The plants are operational in almost all the villages and people are using the RO water for drinking purpose. People have started buying RO water as they have noted the importance of consuming pure drinking water.
Sanitation :
As water supply and safe hygiene practices go hand in hand, promoting safe hygiene practices was an integral component of the project. Individual sanitation units were constructed in the project villages.